Wednesday, February 03, 2010

My Favorite Soldier

I have a new favorite chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Adm. Mike Mullen:
Mr. Chairman, speaking for myself and myself only, it is my personal belief that allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly would be the right thing to do. No matter how I look at the issue, I cannot escape being troubled by the fact that we have in place a policy which forces young men and women to lie about who they are in order to defend their fellow citizens.

For me, personally, it comes down to integrity--theirs as individuals and ours as an institution.

I also believe that the great young men and women of our military can and would accommodate such a change. I never underestimate their ability to adapt.

Credit where credit is due: Sen Orrin Hatch (R-UT) not entirely against Mullen's idea of DADT repeal.

Mullen's predecessor a few chairmen back, Gen. Colin Powell, agrees:
“In the almost 17 years since the ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ legislation was passed, attitudes and circumstances have changed,” General Powell said in a statement issued by his office. He added: “I fully support the new approach presented to the Senate Armed Services Committee this week by Secretary of Defense Gates and Admiral Mullen.”

Will Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) now change his mind -- as he said he would should Gen. Powell?

Any other Republicans?

No comments: