Sunday, February 13, 2011

PJ

I'm not sure how long this will be up, but NPR is streaming the new P.J. Harvey album, Let England Shake, for free here and it sounds to me like her most accessible since 2000's prophetic Stories From the City Stories From the Sea.

That album seemed to predict 9/11, and it was absolutely amazing to see her in concert three weeks after that horrific event and hear her sing things like:
Threw my bad fortune
Off the top of
A tall building
But I'd rather have done it with you
and
Can you hear them?
The helicopters?
I'm in New York
No need for words now
We sit in silence
You look me
In the eye directly
You met me
I think it's Wednesday
The evening
The mess we're in and
The city sun sets over me
and
I'm watching from the wall
As in the streets we fight
This world all gone to war
All I need is you tonight
and
On a rooftop in Brooklyn
One in the morning
Watching the lights flash
In Manhattan
and
Beyond all reason
Beyond all my hopes
The call of duty
Another war zone
(Makes me moan)

Kamikaze - you can't touch me, kamikaze

Another great one from PJ to start the new decade?

Will England...shake?

No comments: