Friday, March 07, 2008

Friend

I was prepared to write about something else tonight, maybe Hillary Clinton's latest crime against her party, maybe John McCain's peevish outburst to a reporter, maybe Barack Obama's positive efforts to keep the debate real rather than manufactured against all sides firing in on him.

Instead, I am sad to report, it's to be a brief eulogy for a livelong friend, or as long as four whole decades, 40 years, will get you. My dear buddy, my fellow droog, Mark Sander, died way too young late today, and if you have a few moments I'll tell you about him.

I grew up in a small town bedroom community for the New York State Capital, Albany, called Delmar. When I was eight years old our family moved from one street on Delmar to another, where my folks had a house built. One afternoon after school I biked from our house to our future home, where the basement had been dug but the foundation not yet laid.

It was an independent moment, the type of thing I'd be loathe to let my current eight year-old do on his own. As I walked my bike around the excavation, the light starting to fade, I ran into another boy, one year older than me, wearing glasses like me, standing with his arms crossed, imperial.

Feeling cheery and excited about the impending neighborhood change, I went up to the boy and said, "I'm moving here. This is going to be my house."

To which he replied, in a fool-suffering tone I'd come to love over the many years ahead, "I know!"

Mark had the same name as me, although over time we referred to each other as "Mo" and eventually he retained rights to that nickname amongst our close "droog" friends and I took on the distinction of "Moses". Mo lived two doors away, with our good buddy, Andrew, who became known as "Crunch", living between us. We talked politics in those days -- Crunch being the Buckley-esque Republican conservative flanked by two Democratic liberals. Although both of those guys were a year ahead of me in school, they were my gang, making sure I took up the rarely played contra alto clarinet in order to advance to the upper level band, grooming me to follow their lead in model congress, procuring our first booze together.

Over the years Mo continued to provide friendship and support. When I moved to NYC after college it was his couch I slept on, in his tiny, shared Greenwich Village tenement, until I found a place. He helped me get work, in a Wall Street executive (broker) search firm and then at Princeton Review, where I both tutored and wrote the company's first LSAT manual. He was instrumental in putting together the annual summer weekend gathering of the ten droogs, starting in our twenties and continuing through today. And he both read and contributed comments to this very blog.

Mo was born with certain physical conditions that gave him a stilted (imperial?) stride as a kid. His first nickname was penguin, or "pengy", but he took it in the best possible way, by putting up a huge poster of hundreds of penguins on an ice floe. But this was the seed of his later physical ailments including sciatic problems and ultimately a pacemaker, difficulty walking even with a cane, and several alarming hospital stints over the past year.

For somebody with such heart trouble he had the largest heart of all, leaving behind a devoted wife and three irresistible young daughters, scores or devoted graduates of his Advantage Testing prep service in Boston, and a network of devoted friends stretching from Delmar to Princeton to New York to Boston and even to here in Santa Monica.

There was no one I enjoyed talking to more about politics, no one I enjoyed chortling with more about the sometimes violent absurdities of life, no one who was ever more loyal or trustworthy, no one with a better attitude towards his own ailments.

Maybe it's still too early or maybe I'll never be able to put the right words one after the other to describe Mark properly. But if you've been lucky enough to have a similar friend in your life, then maybe you understand.

The grieving will take awhile, I'm already missing him achingly, but it's never too early to celebrate such a man, such a life.

Here's to you, Mo. Let's ride that long lonesome train together tonight.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post.

-m

Devoted Reader in Delmar said...

With tears in my eyes - lovely elegy written by one special guy about another.

Unknown said...

Thank you for describing Mark so aptly. From a former roommate at Princeton and the tiny Greenwich Village apartment. Mark and I addressed each other as "Doc."

Anonymous said...

Beautifully said, Mark -- from yet another former Princeton roommate and later frequent drop-in visitor to the tiny GV apartment. My Princeton crowd called him The Sandman. Sometime in the last month or two I spent an hour on the phone with him, and afterwards I remembered thinking exactly what you said -- that there was no one I enjoyed talking to more about politics. I was going to be seeing him this coming Friday at a gathering of other Princeton people who were going to be in Boston. I'm aching. --- Bubba

Tim said...

I couldn't help but google Mark after having learned of his death today. (Thank you for the call Majed.)
With his inimitable sly grin he would describe things and "wicked" and "funky".
I too crashed at the previously mentioned apartment in the Village and loved eating Thai food with Mark and Kathleen when in Boston.
To Kathleen and the beautiful kids, your father was special, beautiful and loved by so many. My prayers and condolences are with you.
Timmy Z.

Mark Netter said...

Nice to see the Princeton gang representin' for Mark. I have fond memories of visiting with you guys. Defunkt, anyone?

Anonymous said...

Thank you for such a beautifully written and heartfelt reflection of a wonderful and courageous man. I knew him (as my brother's friend) growing up and he was always simply a really fine person.

He may be gone but it is obvious that his legacy of wit, generosity, and love will live on in all he touched.

Anonymous said...

To all who knew him, Mark was a mensch. He never harmed anybody, and tried to help everybody. He was a great father to his kids, a great teacher to his students, and a true friend to his friends. I'll miss him greatly

Anonymous said...

Mark, you did a great job capturing Doctor Sandman's big heart and the impact he made on so many of us. I'm another former roomie and frequent GV guest, and this sad event brings back many memories---fortunately they are all loving and full of life, including a New Year's party in GV with Moses et al. Mark was one of the first people I met at Princeton, and every Thursday our freshman year we would head to the Pub and down 3 pitchers of beer and a pizza, while discussing religion and politics until we got too fuzzy to continue. He was a good man, taken way too soon.

Unknown said...

I worked with Mark to expand Advantage Testing- Boston. Mark's intellect and intuition were keen and I learned a great deal from him. I have thought about Mark's desire to impact an auditorium full of students in a one day SAT prep session. It is something that I hoped to help him make happen. Although I had a hard time grasping how it might be possible to impact hundreds of students at once from a podium - to give them the ability to unlock their own power with Mark at the lectern I knew it was possible. He unlocked the potential of hundreds of students who worked with him as a tutor and they carry his legacy on with them.

Mark Netter said...

Beautiful note, Mark. I've been missing Mark more and more this week.