Monday, February 02, 2009

Big Week

This is the week where we find out if Obama has enough juice to pass his stimulus package, or if the 34 Republican Senators who are currently against it stay that way, shrink or grow. Having been through the surprising successes of his campaign, I'm not sure that trouble will turn into defeat. If the Dems can still together enough -- I mean just one or two defections, tops -- and the GOP decides to make good on a filibuster threat, I'm thinking that filibustering against stimulating the economy will be a rather poorly regarded cause.

While watching a triumphant Bruce Springsteen rocking the Super Bowl audience both at the field and in living rooms everywhere, I found myself wondering how different things are, if there really will be change. I can't imagine the same excitement from The Boss or the nation if Obama had lost, but if he hits too many legislative roadblocks, it'll seem a lot less like a new day. And I think this week's contest is particularly important -- the need for any new President to get a fast start, to prove his clout, to get the first win out of the way ASAP.

Is that permanent citizen's network for change shifting into gear?

No comments: