Monday, May 19, 2008

Milestones

Boston Red Sox pitcher Jon Lester, a 24- year old cancer survivor, just pitched an understandably very moving no-hitter, just the 256th in the entire history of Major League Baseball, and the first for Boston since Mel Parnell in 1956. That gap's even older than me.

On this same day, beloved Star Trek actor George Takei (Sulu) announced he will finally be getting married to his longtime partner and business manager, Brad Altman (a spry 54). George and Brad have been together for 21 years, approximately three years longer than I have known my wife, and ten years longer than we have been married and living together. The nuptials are thanks to the California Supreme Court decision earlier this week clearing the way for gay marriages. I can only second Takei's quote that, "As an American, I was delighted that we're getting closer and closer to more truly being faithful to the Constitution."

On an equally patriotic note, also on this day, my favorite Presidential candidate since I've been old enough to vote received two striking endorsements, one from billionaire Warren Buffett. Said Buffett, "I will be very happy if he is elected President. He is my choice." Me, too, Warren. And also the choice of the Crow Nation, which just adopted Senator Barack Obama under the Crow name "One Who Helps People Throughout the Land." To paraphrase my Jewish ancestors, from their lips to the Great Spirit's ears.

Finally, there's a big milestone the candidate hopes to reach tomorrow, the majority of pledged delegates at stake in all of the Democratic primaries and caucuses. If this is indeed the case, I expect the gross majority of Democratic superdelegates to follow.

Then I just hope the Convention goes smoothly, so we can look for the biggest milestone of all on Tuesday, November 4, 2008.

No comments: