Friday, April 14, 2006

Talk

I've turn a few friends onto this site, so excuse me if it's a rerun for you, but if you really want to waste some excellent time, check out Overheard in New York.

It's all reportage, purporting to be actual conversation snippets from the streets of America's greatest city (and arguably that of the world as well). Each quote comes with a snarky headline a la Esquire magazine's annual Dubious Achievement Awards (i.e. wiseguy editorial punchline comes first).

Here's a sample:
We Never Snorted Candy at Stuyvesant
Bronx Science boy: I have pixie sticks.
Bronx Science girl: I love pixie sticks. Have you ever tried to snort them?
Bronx Science boy: Yeah, once I snorted a lot because I wanted to get high and my nose started gushing blood.
--1/9 train
Overheard by: chella

And that's from last year.

Strangely enough, site editor/co-founder Michael Malice is now the subject of an American Splendor graphic novel written by Harvey Pekar. In it, according to reviews, Malice comes across as a know-it-all jerk until the last part of the book, when the humanity comes through.

How New York City of him!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»