Saturday, May 13, 2006

Prayer

In the Truthout site tonight Jason Leopold, former Los Angeles bureau chief for Dow Jones Newswire and author of the book News Junkie, writes: Karl Rove Indicted on Charges of Perjury, Lying to Investigators.

Bush is evidently speaking to the nation Monday night, and new White House Press Secretary Tony "Fox" Snow is doing his first press conference on Tuesday, rather than the expected Monday, so maybe Monday, May 15, 2006 is really the day where Karl gets his frog-march as Joseph Wilson has requested for two and a half years.

Here at Nettertainment we take stands but try to avoid wishful thinking predictions. While we occasionally get a little excited over possibilities like an Al Gore Presidency, we rarely expect the best, as it is against our nature. We may hope for it, but expectation is presumption, and pride goeth before a fall.

However, with this salivation-inducing story from Truthout, maybe it is time for prayer. After all, our President does it.

Nettertainment prays as he expects many readers do, i.e. when he's really worried and wants something to pretty please go right. It can be momentous, like praying for a family friend to recover from dire illness. It can be self-serving, i.e. please let my family be able to eat through the end of the year. We hope, however, that it is never prayer for something petty.

With this in mind, and our commitment to diversity of religious belief, along with the desire to cover all bases in case one religion really is the one and only true path to getting cut a break in the afterlife, we offer the following prayers to a few different major deities:

Dear Jesus,
I may be a Jew but I still believe in your basic teachings regarding peace, brotherhood, charity, love, and keeping usury capitalism out of our houses of prayer. So I think we're on the same page, not to mention that you're Jewish like me. Please, Jewish Jesus, please make it true that Karl Rove is indicted and, if it is indeed true that he helped lie to America in order to bring war, death and destruction to innocent civilians in an irresponsible manner all completely antithetical to your teachings, please make sure that he is removed from the field of U.S. political power and influence forever.

Dear Buddha,
I may not be the most peaceful man on earth, especially when I yell at one of my kids for really getting on my nerves and I know I know, empathize then problem solve together, but I've rubbed the belly of your surrogate icons more times than I can count and think you're a really cool religion, maybe the one I'd switch to if Jewish guilt didn't prevent me from leaving the Jewish faith, plus I like that you enjoy a good laugh. So in that spirit and, again, the spirit of peace and enlightenment that I've admired in your teachings, I ask that you please pretty please help send Karl Rove to a not-so-nice prison for at least a few years, okay ten, although I don't want to be greedy in your beneficent presence, and let's nail Cheney as well don't you agree. Thanks, Buddha, peace out.

Dear Allah...
I know you may be the most problematic of the deities I'm praying to tonight, but I hear from my Islamic friends that yours is actually a message of peace, it has just been perverted by some violent types in order to inflame the Islamic masses to their purpose, much like some corrupt evangelical ministers have hijacked the Christian faith. Plus...I'm a Jew, and we both know our peeps have issues. However, I offer this prayer in the spirit of reconciliation. While some of those who have perverted your message may actually be wishing Mr. Rove well in order to keep the foolish Bush regime strong and able to make more inanely radicalizing moves around the globe (how else to explain Osama Bin Laden dropping a videotape on us the weekend before the last Presidential election, giving Presidente Bush a boost that may have been just what he needed to defeat Senator Kerry), I'm thinking that you'd rather see more of your adherents live rather than die or watching their families get blown up, and want this Rove guy out as much as I do. So with that in mind, Allah, please help make this Truthout article the God's honest truthout, and inshallah to you, my new friend.

Dear Adonai,
You know I've said your name thousands of times just counting Bar Mitzvah's alone. You're my guy (or gal or "presence") and you know it. We go way back. May the words of my blog and the meditations of my html tags be acceptable to you, oh Adonai, and for the sake of the country, for the sake of the world, for old times sake, please oh please take Karl out with the big Patrick F-bomb straight to perjury city and obstruction-of-justice landfill. Thanks in advance, and see you at Yom Kippur.

As Mario Cuomo once said, back when he nominated Bill Clinton for President in his electrifying 1992 Democratic Convention speech:
Prayer is always a good idea; but our prayers must be accompanied by good works.

There's the prayers. Now work it, Patrick.

6 comments:

Mark Netter said...

Like The Daily Show's "This Week in God"!

I will, of course, have to thank the deities if they deliver. Maybe even a burnt offering...

Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»