Thursday, July 20, 2006

Wikki-wikki-wikki-wikki

This latest Mideast War is upending hundreds of thousands of lives and seem surely to end thousands before it's all over. Has Hezbollah overreached? Is Israel over-retaliating? Did one try to set up and the other then try to seize an historic point in this long-fought conflict?

If you come down on the side of the innocent Lebanese people, I can't argue with you there. However, if you come down on the side of Hezbollah, as distinct from the Lebanese people, the ones currently firing rockets into Haifa, then you have to ask yourself if you believe Israel has a right to exist.

Since Hezbollah is dedicated to the eradication of Israel, teach hatred of the Jewish people, have never indicated any hint of moderated thought on the issue of recognizing Israel, siding with them is siding with the destruction of the State of Israel.

Hezbollah, like Hamas, is not a nation. It's a terrorist organization and political party, much like the relationship between the IRA and Sein Finn. Only in this case, there's not even a pretense of distance.

I certainly can't claim to know the solution or even all the hidden agendas for what has happened and what continues to unfold. For an even-handed and often updated report, I recommend Professor Juan Cole.

Not to be facetious, tonight I can only offer perhaps a few moments of precious escape.

Show of hands:
Who remembers Newcleus?
Well, Superman looked up at me, he said, "You rock so naturally"
I said now that you've learned to deal, let me tell you why I'm so for real
I'm Cozmo D from outer space, I came to rock the human race
I do it right 'cause I can't do it wrong
That's why the whole world is singin' this song

It seems like such innocent days, NYC back in the 1980's, when rap was young. Now we've got VH1 Hip Hop Honors for the 3rd straight year this October, Africa Bambaataa and contemporaries, all getting hall-of-fame type awards.

Newcleus had only one real big hit, but I'll suggest it's at least something of a tonic for a day like today.

See/hear for yourself.

Jam On It

Hey, Cosmo D, hey Mergatroid. Is there something nostalgic, something small and longing, built into your song?

Is that why I find myself wondering what all these adorable and talented kids in the video are doing today?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You never fail to surprise me, Mark. "Jam On It" is easily one of my favorite electro tracks. Play it next to "Egypt, Egypt" and "Planet Rock" and I'm a happy camper. Toss Doug E. Fresh's "The Show" in for variety and I'm in heaven.

Mark Netter said...

I'm always "Looking for the Perfect Beat", dontcha know...