Sunday, May 22, 2011

Mitch Daniels: Not Insane

As always, as The Firesign Theater taught us, we should vote for someone who is not insane to be our President. And since you have to be at least slightly insane to want to be President of the United States of America, maybe in a narcissistic vein, it appears that Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels, in declaring he would not seek the 2012 Republican Presidential nomination, may actually be sane:
What could have been a complicated decision was in the end very simple: on matters affecting us all, our family constitution gives a veto to the women's caucus, and there is no override provision. Simply put, I find myself caught between two duties. I love my country; I love my family more.
It doesn't get much saner than that. And it'll be interesting to see Conservative reaction -- family values, to be sure, but also not the most masculine, authoritarian, John Wayne statement. Publicly admits to his wife having veto power of his career. Sound evolved to me, may sound whipped to others.

Former Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty, however, is clearly insane:

"The truth is, our country's in big trouble. We have far too much debt, too much government spending, and too few jobs. We need a president who understands that our problems are deep, and who has the courage to face them. President Obama doesn't -- I do.

"Tomorrow, my first campaign stop will be in Iowa. And that's where I'm going to begin a campaign that tells the American people the truth. I'm Tim Pawlenty, and I'm running for President of the United States."

I look forward to watching Gov. Pawlenty's courage being tested in the campaign.

That crazy nut.

No comments: