Monday, February 25, 2008

Anniversary

It's the two year anniversary of the start of Nettertainment, not to the day but to the event. Thanks to several friends I called moments after Crash was announced as the Oscar winner for Best Picture, an award I've gone on to describe as "Most Picture", I was compelled to write my very first post, "Crash?"

Since then I've posted every day and hopefully the writing has gotten better for it. But I have to say Nettertainment hit something of a milestone today, with a record 10 comments on last night's post.

There are only two ways I feel I can justify the time it takes to research and write every night. One is just for the release, so I don't have to keep my opinions trapped inside or inflicted on different friends over the course of a day. The other is to join the public discussion, hopefully in a responsible way, hopefully not shackled to a reverential way.

Maybe it's the time in my life, but I think it's really what's happening in the public sphere. That sphere has expanded with the opening up of the Internet, to where my voice is but one in a zillion. At the heart of this expansion, not necessarily limited to the political blogs and comments, is our innate civic-mindedness. And the fuel these past eight years has been an arguably stolen Presidential election and the hell-on-earth Administration that has made its bitter mark on our world since then.

So your comments are manna for Nettertainment. I believe the responsible public discussion of our public affairs is crucial to our future as a nation, society and planet. This blog is just one corner of the agora in ancient Athens, one broadsheet during the American Revolution, and I thank you, valued reader, for taking a look and for those of you who find yourselves compelled to participate.

Oh, and here's another reason why, even if I'm not a Hillary hater, I do hold her campaign in contempt:

“Now I could stand up here and say, let’s get everybody together, let’s get unified, the sky will open, the light will come down, celestial choirs will be singing,” she said, reportedly drawing giggles. “And everyone will know we should do the right thing, and the world will be perfect.

“But I have no illusions about how hard this is going to be. You are not going to wave a magic wand and make the special interests disappear.”


No, Hillary, you're fine with special interests. How would I infer that your anti-special interests position were anything more than rhetoric, if your Chief Strategist, Mark Penn, has lobbying subsidiary run by the man who is also John McCain's top advisor?

Any wonder why she and McCain seem to have been tag-teaming the same messages against Barack Obama since Super Tuesday?

Any wonder Obama continues to look more and more impressive, as he takes on enemies attacking from all sides?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Write on, brother!
-MoiB

Devoted Reader in Delmar said...

Congratulations on your anniversary. I start each day with your outstanding Nettertainment blog.

fiendish said...

Congratulations and keep up the good work!

--> Bob

elvis said...

2 years! 10 comments! Just the kind of spontaneous publicity you need. Soon your devoted readership will expand well beyond Delmar. Keep up the good work.