Saturday, October 11, 2008

Belief

A night to look back, as we prepare for really big changes -- no matter how Nov. 4th turns out.

On January 4th of this year I wrote "Wow." This was the night that Barack Obama won his first official voting contest of this entire Presidential cycle, the night that the Obama campaign won the Iowa Democratic Caucus and I watched his extraordinary speech, and when he opened with, "Y'know, they said this day would never come," switched my allegiance from John Edwards:



That post includes this vision of Obama vs. McCain:
Back two years ago, in February 2006, Obama reached out to fellow Senator John McCain on ethics and lobbyist reform, and got slapped down in in letter form, by what could be read as a pique of that famed McCain temper or maybe brutal political posturing with an eye to 2008, or maybe just putting the young'un in his place.

McCain calls Obama a liar more than once in the letter for wanting to do the legislation a different way. Obama's response, however, is profoundly consistent with the tone of his campaign:
For this reason, I am puzzled by your response to my recent letter. Last Wednesday morning, you called to invite me to your meeting that afternoon. I changed my schedule so I could attend the meeting. Afterwards, you thanked me several times for attending the meeting, and we left pledging to work together.

As you will recall, I told everyone present at the meeting that my caucus insisted that the consideration of any ethics reform proposal go through the regular committee process. You didn't indicate any opposition to this position at the time, and I wrote the letter to reiterate this point, as well as the fact that I thought S. 2180 should be the basis for a bipartisan solution.

I confess that I have no idea what has prompted your response. But let me assure you that I am not interested in typical partisan rhetoric or posturing. The fact that you have now questioned my sincerity and my desire to put aside politics for the public interest is regrettable but does not in any way diminish my deep respect for you nor my willingness to find a bipartisan solution to this problem.
I've heard it described as Obama taking conservatives at their word, and then hanging them by it if they play a trick. It's very above board, very good lawyerly style, and may work better than an Edwards-type us vs. them approach. Hopefully more effective, if Obama wins the big job.

But imagine this letter exchange in the context of a potential November victory for Obama head-to-head against McCain.

Shakespearean?

The difference between January 4th and October 11th is that as of this week, everyone believes that Barack Obama can be President. It's not just hope anymore. Not a lock, but no longer inconceivable in these United States.

I've written about how if Obama wins it will be because he's actually our Second black President. Dennis Haysbert -- President David Palmer -- is the model. Obama's close enough.

Most of all, I've called John McCain a litany of nasty names. Deadly John. A McCainiac who makes McStakes. McBush. McSame. McCatastrophe, McConfused, McChaos. McIncoming, McCrazy, McLurch, McAngry, McOver. McToast.

The McNasties. McDesperate. McVile. McSinner, McPussy.

Maybe it's time to stop the McNamecalling. Frank Rich lays it out -- America is getting it's pass/fail test on racism Nov 4th, but John McCain, Sarah Palin and the Republican leadership have failed theirs, and any blood will be on their hands. Gov. Palin's being booed at the Flyers game in Philadelphia. A McCain supporter shows up to his rally with an Obama monkey doll. Lamely tries to conceal it when he realizes he's making YouTube.

So look back at how far we've come from the turn of the year. How far down, yep, in the economy, but with big hope slowly morphing into cautious belief, all the more with Joe Biden right there with him on your ballot.

As Obama activates what promises to be the largest and best run ground game in U.S. electoral history.

No comments: