Monday, March 20, 2006

Al

Whenever I get into a conversation about possible Democratic Presidential candidates for 2008, the list seems to be Hillary with her media and RNC pre-crowned inevitability (I believe the GOP wants to run against her, and they usually manipulate things so that they run against whoever they want), Feingold (currently rising in popularity due to his censure resolution), Wes Clark (strong on defense), John Edwards (lost last time but wasn't the designated loser), and Mark Warner (coming up the outside track). Then I mention Al. As in Gore.

The first reaction is "no way" or "Al Gore will never be President." Then I go to my talking points.

Starting with Richard Nixon. Ol' Tricky Dick lost a closely contested election in 1960, which some say was stolen from him by John Kennedy's father's political connections and Chicago Dem Machine voter fraud. He skipped the next Presidential election, came back eight years after losing as "The New Nixon" with a "secret plan to end the Vietnam War". That plan ended up being a lie, unless he meant to end it six years later after resigning in disgrace and letting Gerald Ford handle the fallout for total collapse of our war effort.

So there's already the New Al Gore. I know this because I've seen one of his barn-burner anti-Bush/Cheney speeches on CNN, because he was at Sundance with a new global warming documentary that will be distributed by Paramount Classics, because he's the only Democrat currently espousing Big Themes: media control by an oligarchy, the current GOP threat to the U.S. Constitution, saving the Planet Earth.

Most folks I talk to about this haven't heard, seen or read these recent speeches. They think "loser" even though he not only won the popular vote in 2000 and probably had Florida stolen by a combination of voter intimidation and ballot problems, he also gave the most gracious concession speech I've ever seen.

Then I pull out the big guns. Would you vote for Al over Hillary? Over Russ, over Wes, over John, even over Governor Warner?

The answers is always yes. And with the few Independents I've spoken with who rue their vote for Bush in 2000, I've heard, "Sure, I'd vote for Gore next time."

It would be a chance for us to experience the alternative reality of what might have happened had we not gotten this disastrous loser with all his cronies in office. It's a chance to give the man what he's owed. It's a chance to Save the Planet.

Al is hanging back, avoiding mainstream media, letting Hillary gather steam so he can be the solution, the anti-Hillary just when the Dems will be starving for one. He might choose not to run if the portents look bad, but I'm guessing he'll take the reinvented, outspoken, anti-consultant, radically moderate Al Gore out for a spin and we'll all be relieved.

Check out this article and tell me if I'm on the right track or not.

6 comments:

Mark Netter said...

I don't want to lean on global warming as a buzzword. I think your approach is exactly right. Not everything wrong with the environment is about just that one thing, although it's a threshold issue. What matters in having the humanistic orientation to care about the planet and people other than just your class or cronies. We need a sea change POV for America, and Al has both the job experience to handle the hardest job in the world, he's got the big evolved vision that I believe we're going to be looking for then.

Anonymous said...

How about Al Gore and Barack Obama in '08? Of course, Obama's got the cursed terrorist name-link. And if you drink too much his first name comes out like "bareback"... which might get him some votes from a certain percentage of skanky Craigslist users.

Mark Netter said...

I think that Gore/Obama would be tough to beat. I also think with Gore, if he does want to run, it's all about timing. Can't be too early and be a target, can't be too late and miss the party. I'm yet to be convinced that he has a good enough sense of timing, but just hold a lot of stock in his having had the 8 years off. And I don't think he could have beaten Bush in '04. The War Meme was just too strong.

My thinking keeps coming around to Big. Who has a Big Vision? All the Dems look like managers of varying degrees of compentency. For the GOPers, the Big Ideas are all the same old failed tax cut/warrior stance/no separation of church & state nonsense that most folks are just tired of.

Gore's thinking much, much bigger. I just hope that if he does choose to make his move, he has the big strategy to win as well.

Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»