Friday, March 10, 2006

Uterus

Touchy stuff this, but now we have an actual U.S. state that's bringing matters to a head.

I'm completely in favor of a woman having control over her own uterus. In the current political vernacular that makes me "Pro Choice" although I think that phrase has gotten denigrated over time. I am certainly not anti-life, although I do not hold the "Pro Life" position as currently defined. I love life, except when it sucks, but haven't given up yet.

I believe abortions should be rare but available, and I don't think they should only be for those wealthy enough to travel themselves or their precious teenager from their home state, say, South Dakota, to a free uterus state to have one.

Here's an illuminating list of twenty questions that any Anti-Abortion advocate needs to answer for their position to be coherent:

Short Quiz

For the record, I'm fine with limiting such rights mainly to the first two trimesters, otherwise I think it is a decision that is between a woman and those with whom she wishes to share the decision, and I believe that the decision is a serious matter and the procedure is no fun.

What I don't want is some legal body telling half our population what she can and can't do with her uterus any more than I want some legal body telling me what I can and can't do with my testicles. Providing, of course, that in neither case is harm being inflicted on a fully formed, out-of-the-uterus, viable human being.

In 1973, Roe v. Wade was a win for women to control their own bodies. This is the next big test to see if that liberty lasts. Or was it just a 33-year window before those rights reverted back to the state?

7 comments:

Heather said...

Ned you should have titled this one "Diversion". As in, taking the focus of the fascists running the country. The abortion issue is an ethical issue that Americans have already "put to bed" in 1973. But the fact that it's being revisited should tell you just how short American's memories are, not necessarily how Christian the country is becoming. Yes, the country is very conservative but I think that the issue is more about how lulled into complacency people are, added to the fact that Americans don't know (or care to learn about) their history. Back alley abortion stories aren't "in the news" so no one is reminded of their dangers. And women are so overly tired from dealing with the realities of juggling job and child rearing that they have no time left in the day to discuss issues with other women. The women's lib movement did NOTHING for women because the economic circumstances of the past 30 years have led to the necessity of the two-income household. Combine exhaustion with a lack of education and an interest in the well being of your "fellow" American and what do you get...? Having an abortion is awful and no one wants one but what about having a child you don't want? Why don't the pro-lifers offer to adopt all of those children that they want to badly to save?

Unknown said...

I'm getting the bumper sticker printed next week: "My Aborted Fetus Beat Up Your Honor Student."

Mark Netter said...

Too true about not having the photos of botched abortion mother corpses in the news. I keep thinking of the U.S. Civil War, which according the Ken Burns' thesis had to be fought to really prove that America was one country, 80-odd years after the actual Revolutionary War. Hope this one isn't as bloody, but if women want their rights (and guys like me want them to have these rights) everyone is just going to have to step up and be counted. And fight for it.

Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»