Friday, March 10, 2006

Committed

Okay, I know this has already gotten a lot of exposure, but can I just say that I am now really dying to see V for Vendetta.

She's the one

Let's not forget that Miss Portman went the acting distance in Closer, and her scene with Clive Owen was maybe the highlight of the movie.

I'm fine if she earned a few paychecks from George Lucas, because even there she gave a ironic performance (she was the only one in Ep. 3 who seemed to get the joke) without ironic detachment.

I think she goes for a real experience versus just theatricality. She faired better than most way back there in space.

So that's what I love about her in this video. Natalie Portman is an actress who knows how to commit.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not to be nitpicky, but I think you mean V for Vendetta

Mark Netter said...

Nice catch!

I guess that's what comes of post-midnight blogging.

I appreciate it...all better now.

Unknown said...

I'm reserving judgement for two reasons. None of the hype articles have been able to assuage my fear of Wachowski involvment.

I haven't forgotten this script review: http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=20348

And then there's the fact that Alan Moore asked to have his name removed from the film. Considering the fact that he still has a WGA credit on League of Extraordinary Gentleman is telling.

Mark Netter said...

Interesting. I'm coming in as someone with no knowledge of the graphic novel written by Mr. Moore, nor is my knowledge of his work all that wide-ranging. I understand that his horrible League of Gentlemen experience was a big contributing factor to pulling him name off the V for Vendetta credits. And I'm happy that the Wachowski's aren't doing the actual directing.

All that said, I'm giving the movie a chance (at least until I read the release reviews) mainly due to a great early write-up by David Poland (who's www.thehotbutton.com site I highly recommend). And the trailers look cool. And, now that I have full faith in Natatie Portman. And, being released during the dire late winter doldrums.

Unknown said...

The New York times cover the issues Moore had around V for Vendetta

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/12/movies/12itzk.html?_r=1&oref=login

Mark Netter said...

Read the article and have to give Moore credit for integrity. The LOL part is H'wood Producer Joel Silver lying about Moore's level of enthusiasm for the adaptation. Hell, that's Silver's job to lie! It's in the job descriptions for Producer on Craig's List and in every studio HR department, isn't it?

To paraphrase Syriana, lying is why they win!

Unknown said...

I think Alan just wants someone to come along and give his work Sin City levels of respect. But first, we need to find a filmmaker that is a) enthusastic about comics (no problem) and b) his intellectual peer. The list suddenly got really short.